By Allison Steele, Coalition For Community Solar Access
When Michigan joined a list of states that are moving to create a community solar market, it happened because a Republican state representative teamed up with a Democratic colleague. “It’s rare these days to find an issue that is truly bipartisan and is a win-win for everyone,” said Republican Rep. Michele Hoitenga in a statement announcing the legislation she cosponsored, which would enable a community solar market in her state if it passes.
“Community solar is one of those rare issues.” Clean energy was once a topic largely associated with the Left. But in recent years, the community solar industry has gained conservative and Republican allies who see clear benefits that align with their values: investing in renewable energy saves money, increases market competition and creates jobs. Continue reading here.
Referenced in the article: House Republicans unveil energy, climate strategy, The Hill
The Coalition for Community Solar Access (CCSA) is a national Coalition of businesses and non-profits working to expand customer choice and access to solar for all American households and businesses through community solar. Our mission is to empower every American energy consumer with the option to choose local, clean, and affordable community solar. We work with customers, utilities, local stakeholders, and policymakers to develop and implement policies and best practices that ensure community solar programs provide a win, win, win for all, starting with the customer.
Also In The News
- Agrivoltaics looks at farming around/among solar panels, AgUpdate
- Inside Clean Energy: Yes, There Are Benefits of Growing Broccoli Beneath Solar Panels, Inside Climate News
- Clearway to buy 413MW US onshore wind portfolio, Windpower Monthly
Nebraskans for Solar Note: The portfolio includes the 50-turbine Broken Bow 1 Wind Farm in Custer County, Nebraska, which began commercial operation in 2012.
Clearway Energy Group is part of the US Solar Buyer Consortium. See: Leading US Solar Companies Announce Consortium to Spend over $6 Billion on Solar Modules and Support Expansion of Domestic Supply Chain, PR Newswire
- Dead solar panels are about to become a lot more valuable, The Verge
- U.S. to lift tariffs on Canadian solar products, Reuters
- ‘A ‘Wow’ moment’: US renewable energy hit record 28% in April. What’s driving the change?, USA Today
- Supreme Court’s EPA decision will have little effect on utility move away from coal-fired plants: analysts, Utility Dive
- Of potential interest to renewable energy job seekers: These maps show where you can earn the most in 2 fast-growing green jobs, Business Insider
- The 2023 Farm Bill And The Growing Climate Solutions Act, The National Law Review