By Mike Konz, The Kearney Hub
Mayor Stan Clouse said Kearney hopes its solar farm
enhances the city’s attraction among high-tech firms.
KEARNEY — Covering 53 acres in northeast Kearney and comprising 22,464 panels, the SoCore solar farm at the city of Kearney’s Tech oNE Crossing is Nebraska’s largest. Rated at 5.7 megawatts, the solar array’s generating capacity is enough to power about 900 houses or supply 5 percent of Kearney’s energy load . . . The University of Nebraska at Kearney bought 52 percent of the shares — enough to provide about 25 percent of the campus’ electrical needs. Central Community College’s Kearney Center just went online with 350 shares. That’s 5 percent of the solar farm’s capacity and enough power to cover all of the electrical needs at CCC’s $23 million, ultra-energy efficient facility in southwest Kearney. Read more here.
Photo Credit: SoCore Energy
Developer: SoCore Energy
Installer: Interconnection Systems based in Central City, Nebraska
NPPD’s SunWise Initiative
SunWise is a community solar program available in participating Nebraska Public Power District retail communities.
- Current Participating Communities
Venango – fully subscribed
Scottsbluff – Pilot project fully subscribed. NPPD and the City of Scottsbluff are now working on a 5-megawatt project.
Kearney – shares available
Kearney Community Solar Q&A
Kearney NPPD customers can purchase shares here.
- Customers living in other communities served by NPPD may request community solar for their town or city by submitting the online form available at the link, below. NPPD serves 80 communities throughout Nebraska.
Request community solar in your community.
- Tech oNE Crossing Website
- U.S. Renewable Energy Map: A Guide For Corporate Buyers
Another distinguishing feature of Kearney’s Solar Farm is that it is a nationally-recognized pollinator-friendly site, benefiting local food producers.
- Entire 53-acre site in northeast Kearney seeded with plants for pollinators, Kearney Hub
- Celebrating solar power while protecting pollinators and birds, Nebraska TV
- Nebraska’s Largest Solar Array is Surrounded by Bird-Friendly Plants, Audubon
- Introducing the Center for Pollinators in Energy, Fresh Energy
Photo by Rob Davis, Fresh Energy