By Karen Graham, Digital Journal
Illinois is experiencing a boom in solar energy projects stemming from the state’s Future Energy Jobs Act, a 2016 law that sets a target of getting 25 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2025 . . . At the end of the 2nd quarter of 2018, Illinois ranked 34th, up from 43rd in 2017 in solar capacity. The state has only 97.84 MW of installed solar power. Rankings and installed solar capacity are about to change for the better, so much so that Illinois could end up being the Midwest’s leader in solar energy in a matter of a few years. Read more here.
Photo: Shedd Acquarium in Chicago. The 265-kilowatt solar project is a highlight in itself—it is the largest installation at any cultural institution in Illinois—but it’s only the first step of Shedd’s plan to cut energy usage in half by 2020.
- A Solar Garden Is Coming To Minneapolis, CBS Minnesota
Instead of dirt, this solar garden will be built over Ramp A near Target Field in downtown Minneapolis. Timothy Denherder-Thomas helped make it official on Monday, announcing plans from his company, Cooperative Energy Futures. It’s similar to the project atop Shiloh Temple in North Minneapolis.
Photo: Shiloh Temple in North Minneapolis
YouTube Video: Just Solar: The Shiloh Story
- Landfill solar panels to cover 95 percent of Maine town’s electricity needs, Bangor Daily News
- San Diego Is Ditching Their Power Company For A 100% Clean Energy Alternative, Green Matters
- San Diego Zoo Adds Storage to its Energy Menagerie, Microgrid Knowledge
- UC makes bold commitment to 100 percent clean electricity, University of California News
- Salt River Project, DOE’s NREL team up to assess value of distributed energy storage, Utility Dive
- Arkansas farmers see benefits of going solar, KATV Little Rock
- Renewable Energy Is Growing Faster Than Many Experts Expected, Governing
It’s leading an increasing number of state and local governments to commit to 100 percent clean energy goals. Photo: National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL)
- US on pace for record coal retirements in 2018, IEEFA finds, Utility Dive
- Whatever happened to Jimmy Carter’s solar panels: The sequel, Treehugger
- Making Energy Transmission Charges Fair To Solar Generators: A #CleanTechnica Q&A With Doug Karpa, Policy Director Of Clean Coalition. One of the problems with the existing rate design is that it overlooks the positive contribution of local distribution-connected solar generation and energy storage.
- Three ways utilities can better engage low-income customers, Utility Dive Opinion by Patty Durand, President & CEO of the Smart Energy Consumer Collaborative
- Bifacial Gains: How much will bifacial modules add to solar tracker value? We are about to find out, Solar Builder
ENERGY STORAGE RESOURCES
Special coverage of energy storage markets & technology, courtesy of pv magazine, by Christian Roselund. PV Magazine brings you a special edition devoted to the fast-growing energy storage space, including a look at its thornier challenges.
Click image to download and save the PDF.
Clean Energy Group has redesigned their Resilient Power Toolkit to make it easier to locate the resources you need to understand resilient power system technologies, their economics, and how to approach developing a new resilient solar+storage project.
“We’re always refining our toolbox of resources and making new additions, like our recent permitting and interconnection guide and a storage guide for homeowners from Solar United Neighbors. If you know of useful resources missing from our toolkit or are looking for something you can’t find, send us an email.” – Seth Mullendore, Vice President, Project Director: firstname.lastname@example.org