By Alyssa Danigelis, Energy Manager Today
Mondelez International signed a virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) with Enel Green Power North America for a 65-MW portion of the renewable company’s Roadrunner solar farm in Texas. EGPNA has been on a roll. Last year saw Starbucks and Kohler signing agreements as well as Facebook and Adobe snapping up energy from the 320-MW Rattlesnake Creek wind farm. Late last year, Enel’s Hill Topper wind farm in Illinois began operations. Then the Rattlesnake Creek wind farm in Nebraska started operations in January. Read more here.
Photo Credit: Enel Green Power
Previously Posted Virtual Power Purchase Agreements
- Hormel Foods to Be Powered by Nearly 50% Renewable Energy, Energy Manager Today
In April Hormel Foods announced a virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) for wind energy. The new wind farm will be located near Milligan, Nebraska. Construction is expected to be completed in 2020.
- How to view the purchase of wind power by Vail Resorts, Mountain Town News
Vail’s virtual power-purchase agreement will give it 310,000-megawatt-hours of production annually from the Plum Creek Wind Project near Wayne, Neb., beginning in 2020.
- Solar Power Purchase Agreements, Solar Energy Industries Association
- Introduction to the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement, Rocky Mountain Institute Report
This report serves as an introduction to the virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA)—its place in the off-site renewable energy procurement market, how the VPPA works, and why VPPAs have been a popular instrument in the United States thus far. This report is aimed at renewable energy buyers who are seeking to understand the VPPA mechanism.
- Introduction to Virtual Power Purchase Agreements for Corporations, LevelTen Energy
- Transforming Electric Supply for Small-Town and Rural America, Microgrid Knowledge
Multiple business models can effectively serve a transformed rural electric system: The coming changes do not demand a uniform 21st-century electric co-op business model. In fact, multiple business models and structures are needed to ensure that rural electric cooperatives are responsive to their members’ needs and that they remain highly-effective consumer-centric utilities.
Renewable Energy Aggregation & Purchase Agreements
- LevelTen Energy YouTube Video: Corporate Renewable Energy Aggregation Group Case Study
This is the first example of companies aggregating similar, relatively small amounts of renewable energy demand to collaboratively enter into a virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA), collectively acting as the anchor tenant for a large offsite renewable energy project.
- What is Energy Aggregation? – A Primer, LevelTen Energy
- LevelTen Energy Webinar: New Renewable Energy Procurement Models Opening the Market to Midsized Corporations, July 24, 2019, 11 am
Speakers: Rob Collier, Vice President of Developer Relations, LevelTen Energy and Zach Starsia, Senior Manager, Origination, LevelTen Energy
- Save the Date! Nebraskans for Solar’s September Speaker: David Bracht, Attorney With Kutak Rock and Former Nebraska Energy Office Director: September 12, 2019 at 7 pm, UNO’s Community Engagement Center. Power purchase agreements and virtual power purchase agreements will be among the topics Mr. Bracht will discuss.