By Patrick Smith, American Public Power Association
When it comes to large-scale solar for utilities and municipalities, the Solar Energy Industries Association reports that there are 37,000 MW in operation, with a whopping 74,000 MW additional in development. With such widespread solar adoption, it’s clear that many believe in the power of solar. However, there’s also a lot to understand behind the scenes, which can sometimes lead to misconceptions. Here, we’ll address and correct some of the more common ones. Continue reading here.
Also Published by the American Public Power Association
Report sees dramatic increase of solar-plus-storage projects, by Peter Maloney
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
- Why Is Wind + Storage Getting Short Shrift?, by Chandu Visweswariah, founding president and CEO of Utopus Insights, a New York-based energy analytics company acquired last year by Vestas. Published by Greentech Media. Hybrid plants combining wind, solar and batteries can reliably supply electricity during peak-demand hours, the author writes.
- AWEA board chair Rob Caldwell samples life in the “elevated office”, Into the Wind, AWEA Blog
- First US steel plants powered by wind, solar energy are coming for industry with big carbon footprint, CNBC. The steel industry has a massive carbon footprint, as much as 6% to 7% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, according to a Rocky Mountain Institute study. A new Nucor steel microplant in Missouri is trying to put a dent in that number.
- Green Mountain Power Introduces Plan That Allows Homeowners To Sell Solar Power Direct To Businesses, CleanTechnica
- How The CEO Of A Major Energy Producer Is Reducing His Company’s Reliance On Coal, Forbes
Sol Systems, University of Illinois sign PPA for 12.1-MW solar project, Solar Power World
The PPA structure will yield cost savings for the university of approximately $300,000 in the first year and an estimated $5 million over the life of the project. Sol Customer Solutions (SCS), the joint venture between Capital Dynamics and Sol Systems, will design, build, operate, finance and maintain the solar farm for the life of the PPA.
MICROGRID NEWS & RESOURCES
- The Philadelphia Navy Yard Story: The Remarkable Emergence of an Unintentional Microgrid, Microgrid Knowledge
- Access Microgrid Knowledge’s complete library of free white paper and special reports here.
The EV Resistance: Gas Automakers Vs Tesla, by Brooke Crothers, Forbes
General Motors and Toyota were early leaders in electric vehicles. But a lot has changed in 20 years. I recently spoke with Chris Paine, director of the documentary “Who Killed the Electric Car” (2006) and the sequel “Revenge of the Electric Car” (2011), and a longtime follower of the EV and Tesla.
GLOBAL SOLAR PANEL RECYCLING MARKET
Rising Adoption of Solar Power Driving Solar Panel Recycling Market, PV Magazine International
The global solar panel recycling market was valued at $80.7 million in 2017 and is expected to reach $269.8 million by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 22.0% during the forecast period (2018–2023).