Kentucky coal plant to close, latest among accelerating shutdowns
By Robert Walton, Utility Dive
Source: Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA)
Coal-fired generators continue to close down, and Henderson’s power plant is only the most recent example. According to the Sierra Club, the plant is the 277th coal generator to close since 2010. And new research finds closures are accelerating.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) on Thursday released an analysis estimating 15.4 GW of coal-fired capacity will close this year, including 44 units at 22 plants. This year at least 11 GW have retired and the final tally is predicted to eclipse the previous record of 14.7 GW retired in 2015. IEEFA estimates another 21.4GW of coal-fired capacity will close over the next six years. Read more here.
100% RENEWABLE ENERGY NEWS
- Gainesville becomes the 5th city in Florida to commit to 100% clean energy future, Florida Phoenix. The city, home of the University of Florida, currently uses an average of 27 percent renewable resources. Those kinds of resources include solar panels, wind turbines and hydroelectric plants – not fossil fuels or coal. Previously, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Sarasota and Largo are the other Florida cities to commit to such a goal.
- San Diego chooses community aggregation path to 100% renewables, Utility Dive
- En Route To 100% Renewables, San Diego Chooses Community Choice Aggregation, Solar Industry Magazine
- SoCal communities opt for 100% renewable electricity, Windpower Engineering Development
Last week, the Ventura County Board of Supervisors voted to set a default of 100% renewable electricity when the county launches service through the Clean Power Alliance in 2019. Clean Power Alliance is a Southern California community choice energy provider that will procure cleaner power at lower costs than investor-owned utility Southern California Edison (SCE).
- PSE’s Green Direct lets customers buy energy from 100% renewables, Windpower Engineering Development
- After Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico may shift to 100% renewable energy, Fast Company
ENERGY STORAGE NEWS
- Global Market Insights says the U.S. energy storage market will grow to $4 billion by 2024, Solar Power World. The U.S. energy storage market is set to grow from its current market value of more than $400 million to over $4 billion by 2024, as reported in the latest study by Global Market Insights.
- Tesla’s ‘historic’ quarter included gains in storage, solar, Utility Dive
- AECOM, Lockheed Martin Together Build Energy Storage System at Fort Carson, Energy Storage Association News