Great for home, RV, cabin or glamping – glamourous camping.
Click photo to watch YouTube Video.
Description: Homemade AC Air Cooling unit produces very cold air: 42F in an 80F room.
Items needed: ice chest (hard-sided or styrofoam), pvc pipe, small fan and ice. (small solar panel is optional). Great for space cooling. 3 ways to power it: a solar panel, a battery or an automobile (using 12v socket cigarette plug. Specs: fan: 12VDC 10w 0.8A and solar panel: 15 watt (1 amp). Works best in semi-dry or dry climates. Drier air cools down easier/faster than humid. To run the cooler 100% off-grid check out my solar ice making/freezer videos. – DesertSun02
By Louise Matsakis, Motherboard
Jehu Garcia didn’t expect to be known for working with Lithium-ion batteries. The California-based YouTuber previously started a photography accessories company, and originally thought his life was more about cameras and making videos. “I didn’t want to be known as the battery guy,” Garcia told me on a recent phone call. But then, in 2015, Elon Musk unveiled the Tesla Powerwall. The suitcase-sized battery lets homeowners store electricity, either from the grid or solar panels. The device represented an impressive step forward in alternative energy technology, but it started at $3,000 and could only store 10 KWh of electricity, or about a third the average American household consumes in a day. Inspired by Tesla, battery hobbyists started building their own DIY powerwalls using recycled laptop batteries and hooking them up to solar panels for a fraction of the cost. Read more here.
ALSO OF POTENTIAL INTEREST
- New Mexico co-op signs 4.5 cent/kWh PPA for community solar project, PV Magazine
The 3 MW project is expected to come online in March.
- UPS orders 125 Tesla big-rig trucks that look as if they were designed for Batman, USA Today
- Solar installers can emphasize education to secure school contracts, by Mia Behm, VP of marketing, Green Street Solar Power, Solar Power World. Solar’s growth is evident in the number of schools making the switch to green energy. According to SEIA, there are now approximately 5,500 schools across the US with solar installations. As an installer, it’s beneficial for you to seek out and encourage more schools to join this movement.
- California company proposes to build a solar farm on 10 unused acres at an Illinois airport, Daily Herald. The company also is in discussions with five other municipalities, including three Illinois airports, documents show.
- Iowa utilities adding to state’s wind power portfolio. The Gazette
- Rick Perry’s fake grid crisis just got undermined by more grid experts: NERC sees reliability challenges, but no crisis and no need for giant piles of coal, Vox
- 14 Facts on 100% Renewable Energy, E-Library, Global 100%RE