By Michael Liedtyke, AP Technology Writer, Omaha World-Herald
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Apple is planning to build a new corporate campus and hire 20,000 U.S. workers in an expansion driven in part by a tax cut that will enable the iPhone maker to bring an estimated $245 billion back to its home country . . . Excluding banks and other financial services companies, Moody’s Investors Service estimates corporate America has an estimated $1.6 trillion in overseas cash. Most of that is in the technology industry, with Apple at the top of the heap. Read more here.
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
- Omaha officials might be pursuing part of Apple’s expansion plan without even knowing it, by Cole Epley, Omaha World-Herald.
“Prospective customers want to match their energy consumption with the energy output of a renewable project” like wind, said Tim O’Brien, director of economic development and external affairs for the Omaha Public Power District. “That’s what they are seeking to achieve.” A new electric rate OPPD introduced last January lets large-volume electric customers do exactly that, and it was pivotal in landing a massive Facebook data center situated on 134 acres off Highway 50 and Capehart Road in Sarpy County.
- Report Ranks Top States for Corporate Renewable Energy Procurement: Iowa and Illinois top the list, by Julia Pyper, Greentech Media
- Corporate Clean Energy Procurement Index: State Leadership And Rankings (PDF)
Top 20 States: Click Infographic to enlarge it.
MORE ON APPLE
This Hearst ranch has raised cattle since 1865, now it also powers Apple’s headquarters
The historic Hearst cattle ranch has become a hybrid solar farm for Apple’s Cupertino campus; The ranch claims to be the nation’s largest single-source provider of grass-fed beef; The project is still expanding, with the second phase of the 2.5 million solar panels being installed this year.
RESOURCES ON CORPORATE PROCUREMENT OF RENEWABLE ENERGY IN THE U.S.
- U.S. Renewable Energy Map: A Guide For Corporate Buyers
- Emerging Green Tariffs in U.S. Regulated Electricity Markets. Nebraska pages 8 & 9.
- REBA Video: Powering the Corporate Movement Toward Renewable Energy
This video outlines the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance’s ambitious 60 gigawatt goal and the value this coalition provides to customers. Several Buyers’ Principles signatories are featured.
RENEWABLE ENERGY BUYERS ALLIANCE (REBA) INITIATIVES