In this edition of Industry Perspectives, Schneider Electric’s Andy Haun offers insight on how battery energy storage has the potential to change the energy landscape.
Photo: Andy Haun, senior vice president and chief technology officer, microgrids, Schneider Electric
MORE ENERGY STORAGE NEWS
How Dispatchable Wind Is Becoming a Reality in the US, Greentech Media. Analysis from Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables’ new report, The Potential Wind-Plus-Storage Roadmap, introduces new policies from select states.
Photo: AWEA Public Domain Images
CONSUMER REPORTS SURVEY
Most Americans in Coal-Reliant States Prefer Renewables, CBS News, Posted on Real Clean Energy. A large majority of Americans in coal-heavy states favor increasing renewable energy use. Most would also be willing to buy solar panels for their own use, and a plurality would be willing to pay an additional $5 a month to get energy from fully renewable sources, according to a survey from Consumer Reports
100% RENEWABLE ENERGY NEWS
100% renewables city won $1 million to capture and store solar energy. Here’s what happens next: The city of Georgetown is going one step farther to become energy-independent. After winning a $1 million grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies U.S. Mayors Challenge city officials said they plan to lease rooftop space on homes to install solar panels as well as additional space to install storage batteries that will allow the city to collect and store solar-generated energy.
- Businesses Are Switching To Renewable Energy In Staggering Numbers, AltEnergy Magazine
Countries around the world and individual states and regions are establishing renewable energy infrastructures and setting up 100% renewable energy targets (and some have already reached their 100% renewable targets).
- Game On! 60 Gigawatts Of Renewable Energy By 2025 — #CleanTechnica Interview
Alex Klonick, who works with the Business Renewables Center at the Rocky Mountain Institute, explains how the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance effort is fostering the acceleration of renewable energy development.
- Longmont meeting attendees want 100 percent renewable energy, even if it costs more, Times-Call Local News
- 10 Southern California municipalities commit to 100% renewables through CCA program, Solar Power World. A total of nine cities and one county have opted to power their communities with 100% renewable electricity through Clean Power Alliance, a new Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) program in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.
- Redmond to use one hundred percent renewable energy, Redmond Reporter
The city is partnering with Puget Sound Energy’s Green Direct program.
- Facebook Benefits From 375MW Data Centre Solar Power Deal In Alabama, Data Economy. Facebook has committed to support all of its data centres and offices with 100% of renewable energy by 2020. Through the partnership with TVA, the company’s first Valley-based facility will be powered with 100% renewable energy, split between two locations subject to appropriate environmental reviews.
OF POTENTIAL INTEREST TO GREEN BUILDERS
6 green certifications contractors should know about,
Smart Cities Dive
AMERICAN PUBLIC POWER ASSOCIATION MAGAZINE
More Articles: Public Power Magazine
- Dominion Energy Launches Green Bonds Program, News Release
- Investment grade solar power gets $362 million in green bonds, PV Magazine
- Explaining green bonds, Climate Bonds Initiative
- Britain Achieves the ‘Unthinkable’ as Renewables Leapfrog Fossil Fuel Capacity, Eco Watch
- China may raise 2020 solar target to over 200 GW, PV Magazine. The target of 105 GW of cumulative installed photovoltaic power, which was originally planned to be achieved by the end of the decade, has already been surpassed. PV Info Link now reports that the 2020 solar target may revised upwards to between 210 GW and 270 GW.