By Ella Nilsen and Lauren Fox, CNN
Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia has cracked open the door for negotiations on a slimmed-down version of President Joe Biden’s climate and economic bill following months of little progress on the issue. Manchin outlined his counteroffer this week, confirming that climate and clean energy provisions will be some of the few original pieces of Biden’s original Build Back Better bill he wants to pass through a Democrat-only bill. Manchin is also calling for Democrats to raise taxes on corporations and America’s wealthy and use that revenue to reduce the budget deficit and spend on new climate programs. Read more here.
Watch the following brief video at the same above link: CNN asks West Virginia residents about climate change.
- It’s time for West Virginia to have a seat at Clean Energy table, opinion contributed by Dan Conant, CEO of the business, Solar Holler, West Virginia News
- West Virginia to See Thousands of New Jobs from Build Back Better Act [NRDC Analysis]
- UMWA statement on Build Back Better legislation, United Mine Workers of America News Release
- More than 250 leaders from 30-plus states urge Congress to pass climate legislation, Environment America. Local government officials, health professionals, academics and business owners support immediate action on climate.
NEW FROM THE WHITE HOUSE BRIEFING ROOM
- Statement by President Biden on the February Jobs Report
- FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Delivers on Made in America Commitments
ENERGY SAVER.GOV NEWS & RESOURCES
- Energy Saver 101 Infographic: Home Energy Audits
A home energy assessment is the first step to saving energy and money. Sometimes called an energy audit, a home energy assessment helps you learn how you use energy, determine where it’s being wasted, and prioritize efficiency upgrades. Making energy efficiency upgrades identified in a home energy assessment can save 5-30 percent on your monthly energy bill while also ensuring the health and safety of your house.
- New Plug-in Electric Vehicle Sales in the United States Nearly Doubled from 2020 to 2021
Sales of new light-duty plug-in electric vehicles, including all-electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), nearly doubled from 308,000 in 2020 to 608,000 in 2021.