By Jake Richardson, Clean Technica
Renewable energy is already cheaper than other energy options in most of the world, but it comes with other economic and societal benefits as well. Because of the number of countries investing in renewable energy, the complexity of their national economies and their energy infrastructure details, it isn’t possible to cover everything in one online article. The subject would be better addressed in a book. So, this article is intended only to be a snapshot of some key high-level points. Click here to continue reading.
Photo: Telesis Inc’s solar array in Lincoln’s Haymarket
SCHOOLS, STUDENTS IN THE NEWS
- Sustain UNL president works to create more ‘green campus’, The Daily Nebraskan
- Changing Course: Coal Country Students Working For A Power Switch, WKMS
- Students deliver solar power to eastern Navajo Nation, Farmington Daily News
This is the fifth year for GRID Alternatives’ Solar Spring Break program, which provides college students the opportunity to install solar projects in underserved communities across the country.
- Midwest college students serve as RE-volv solar ambassadors, Solar Power World
- Comsewogue schools seek $32M bond for school improvements, Newsday
- This ‘acoustic lighthouse’ could keep birds from killing themselves on wind turbines, Popular Science
NEWS FROM OTHER STATES
- Minnesota reaches 300 MW of community solar (w/chart), PV Magazine
Under the state’s program operational community solar capacity in Xcel’s Service area has grown more than four-fold over the last 12 months, with another 381 MW in design or construction.
- New York Makes Billion Dollar Commitment to Solar Energy, Solar Energy Industries Association
- Georgia Power to hit 1.6 GW renewable energy goal years early, PV Magazine
The utility has reached 970 MW of installed solar power capacity. With four new projects totaling 649 MW, this which will bring Georgia Power to 1,619 MW by the end of 2019.
- Next phase for Chattanooga’s smart grid: an airport microgrid, Energy News Network
- Sydney Markets flicks the switch on massive solar installation, The Sydney Morning Herald
- Volkswagen Invests $25 Billion in Battery Supplies to Bolster EV Agenda, Greentech Media
- Solar Energy Industries Association: How Owning a Solar System Impacts My Home Value: A Guide to Valuing Residential Solar Energy Systems
- New Guide by the nonprofit organization Solar United Neighbors (SUN), Selling Your Solar Home