By Betsy Lillian, Solar Energy Magazine
With the global solar industry expected to reach 100 GW this year, following nearly 20% year-over-year growth in annual installations in 2017, IHS Markit has identified eight solar and energy storage market trends to watch. “Solar Energy and Storage Trends,” a new white paper from IHS Markit, identifies the following significant trends with the most impact on the global solar market: Click here to continue.
The IHS Markit white paper can be downloaded here.
MORE CLEAN ENERGY NEWS & REPORTS
- RE100 signatories to spur $94 billion investment opportunity, Windpower Engineering
The companies currently committed to the RE100 campaign will need to procure an estimated 172 TWh of additional clean energy generation by 2030 to meet their renewable energy targets. If corporations were to meet this demand through PPAs, it could catalyze 87 GW of new solar and wind build, representing a potential $94 billion investment opportunity
- 2018 RE100 Progress and Insights Report: Approaching a Tipping Point: How Corporate Users Are Redefining Global Electricity Markets
- New Sources of Utility Growth: Electrification Opportunities and Challenges, The Brattle Group
- Utilities pressure Congress to lift EV tax credit manufacturing cap, Utility Dive
NEWS FROM CAMPUSES
- This College Could Become the First 100% Renewable Campus in U.S., Eco Watch. The campus’ solar-plus-storage project—consisting of 2.8 megawatts of solar PV and 13.2 megawatt-hours of battery distributed energy storage—is scheduled to become fully operational by 2019.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison students to install solar panels in Puerto Rico, CBS Affiliate WDJT Milwaukee
- A new way to teach climate change: virtual reality, Yale Climate Connections
Linda Cheung is founder of the nonprofit Before It’s Too Late. Last semester, she helped students at Miami’s Cushman High School produce 360 degree films about local climate issues.
RENEWABLES & RESILIENCE – NEW & ARCHIVED RESOURCES
- New Publication & Webinar: Powering and Empowering Communities with Resilient Solar, Institute for Sustainable Communities
- Valuing the Resilience Provided by Solar and Battery Energy Storage Systems, Clean Energy Group
- Archived Webinar: Valuing Resilience: Exploring the Role of Solar+Storage in Grid Outages, Clean Energy Group
American Conservation Coalition (ACC)
- One of ACC’s ten Principles of Conservative Environmentalism: “A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship—especially of the natural world—is not fundamentally conservative.” Initiatives include the development of an environmental scorecard of Republicans in Congress.
- ACC Press Release: College Republican Clean Energy Coalition Expands to 30 states