By Kelly Pickerel, Solar Power World
The expected useful life of utility-scale solar PV projects has increased over time, while anticipated operating expenditures (OpEx) have decreased, according to new research from Berkeley Lab. Findings are detailed in a new paper: “Benchmarking Utility-Scale PV Operational Expenses and Project Lifetimes: Results from a Survey of U.S. Solar Industry Professionals.”
Useful life and OpEx are important (but sometimes overlooked) drivers of the levelized cost and profitability of utility-scale PV plants. This paper draws on a survey of U.S. solar industry professionals and other sources to clarify trends in these cost factors. Key findings include: Continue reading here.
TAX CREDITS EXTENSION
- Extension to Tax Credits Provides Relief to the Renewable Energy Industry, The National Law Review. The United States Treasury Department formally extended the eligibility deadlines for Production Tax Credits (PTC) and Investment Tax Credits (ITC) in connection with renewable energy facilities. The extensions are a welcomed relief for solar, wind, and other renewable energy projects navigating the uncertainties of the COVID-19 pandemic. The extensions were announced in Notice 20-41, issued May 27, 2020, and offer the following guidance:
- SEIA Statement on Treasury Department Guidance on Safe Harbor Change, SEIA News Release
- American Wind Energy Association Statement on IRS Safe Harbor Guidance, AWEA News Release
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
- How a suburban Chicago mayor helped inspire the biggest jump in building energy code improvements in a decade, Energy News Network
- Arcadia partners with Pivot Energy on Colorado community solar program, Solar Power World
- Ameren Missouri expands community solar program, Daily Energy Insider
This is part of Ameren Missouri’s Smart Energy Plan, which includes thousands of clean energy infrastructure projects throughout the state.
- Canadian Solar sees turnover and profits surge, PV Magazine
- As Commercial Solar Takes a Hit From COVID-19, Virtual PPAs Continue Their Rise, Greentech Media
Previously Posted Resource On Virtual PPAs
Introduction to the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement, Rocky Mountain Institute Report
This report serves as an introduction to the virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA)—its place in the off-site renewable energy procurement market, how the VPPA works, and why VPPAs have been a popular instrument in the United States thus far.
RECYCLING MARKET REPORT
Solar Panel Recycling Market, Transparency Market Research
An increased number of end-of-life solar panels are creating a demand for recycling activities in the U.S. Moreover, analysts of Transparency Market Research (TMR) opine that the U.S. is anticipated to account for the highest number of end-of-life solar panels in the upcoming decades after China. Hence, companies in the solar panel recycling market are focusing on value-grab opportunities in the U.S. As such, the market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 600 Mn by the end of 2027.