SEIA News Release
“The destructive impacts of climate change are happening now, and it’s time to reimagine our entire electricity system,” said Abigail Ross Hopper, SEIA’s president and CEO. “The solar industry is leading the way in reducing electricity sector emissions, but we’ll fall far short of the 850 gigawatts we need to reach 30% of electricity generation by 2030 without policy action. It’s time for lawmakers to meet the urgency of this climate moment. If the industry reaches 30% solar by 2030, the solar and storage industry will grow to 1 million workers and add more than $800 billion in new private sector investment. Read the entire news release here.
GREEN POWER LEADERSHIP
EPA Honors SEIA with the 2021 Green Power Leadership Award for Market Development, SEIA News Release, September 28, 2021
Today the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in partnership with the Center for Resource Solutions, unveiled the Green Power Leadership Awards (GPLA) to recognize outstanding achievements in the clean energy marketplace. This year, the GPLAs honored SEIA as a winner in their Market Development category. Watch a brief video here.
U.S. SOLAR MANUFACTURING – LEGISLATION / LEADERSHIP
- Sen. Ossoff Introduces Legislation to Rapidly Boost American Solar Manufacturing, News Release, U.S. Senator Jon Ossoff.
Click here to read the Solar Energy Manufacturing for America Act.
Click here for a fact sheet on the Solar Energy Manufacturing for America Act.
- Rep. Demings Introduces Solar Supply Chain Legislation, News Release, U.S. Representative Val Demings
Reclaiming the Solar Supply Chain Act of 2021
- House bill would channel $3.5 billion to domestic solar manufacturing, PV Magazine
With the Biden administration placing a ban on several companies suspected of forced labor in the Xinjiang region of China, the call for more domestic manufacturing has grown louder.
- Progressive poll finds support for solar energy tax credit legislation, The Hill
- FACT SHEET: Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal and Build Back Better Agenda Present Bright Future for Solar Power, Good Jobs, and More Affordable Energy, The White House Briefing Room. The DOE issue brief – Investing in the Clean Energy Future: Solar Energy Research, Deployment, and Workforce Priorities – details the immense growth opportunities that exist in the solar energy industry for workers and families, and how investments like those proposed by President Biden can supercharge the benefits of these opportunities.
U.S. SOLAR MANUFACTURERS IN THE NEWS
- GAF Energy Completes Build Out Of First U.S. Solar R&D And Manufacturing Facility, GAF News Release, PR Newswire
- Silfab doubles U.S. solar panel manufacturing capacity, PV Magazine
- Meyer Burger to open U.S. manufacturing facility, PV Magazine
- Minnesota’s Iron Range may soon be home to one of the largest solar panel manufacturing facilities in the country, Energy News Network
- Solar Power World Resource: See a list of U.S. solar panel manufacturers here.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Ford To Lead America’s Shift To Electric Vehicles With New Mega Campus In Tennessee and Twin Battery Plants In Kentucky: $11.4B Investment To Create 11,000 Jobs And Power New Lineup Of Adlvanced. EVs, News Release, Ford Media Center
DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 27, 2021 – Ford Motor Company is announcing plans to bring electric vehicles at scale to American customers with two new massive, environmentally and technologically advanced campuses in Tennessee and Kentucky that will produce the next generation of electric F-Series trucks and the batteries to power future electric Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
Ford plans to make the largest ever U.S. investment in electric vehicles at one time by any automotive manufacturer and, together with its partner, SK Innovation, plans to invest $11.4 billion and create nearly 11,000 new jobs at the Tennessee and Kentucky mega-sites, strengthening local communities and building on Ford’s position as America’s leading employer of hourly autoworkers.
See Also: FACT SHEET: President Biden Announces Steps to Drive American Leadership Forward on Clean Cars and Trucks, White House Briefing Room
OPPD’S NEW EV GUIDE
Thinking about making the switch? Here’s your EV guide, by Julie Wasson, The Wire
With its new EV guide, OPPD has made it easier than ever to learn about making the switch to electric vehicles. EV 101 explains the basics of owning and operating an EV. The EV calculator provides a personalized estimate that lets you compare vehicle models side-by-side. That can help you understand the near- and long-term costs of switching to an EV, based on your driving habits, electricity use and savings potential.
You can also check out a map of the public charging stations available in the Omaha area and across the state. And you can learn about incentives and rebates available to EV buyers, including OPPD’s rebate program.
ALSO IN THE NEWS