By Brody Hilgenkamp, Papillion Times /Omaha World-Herald
Facebook and the Papillion Data Center announced its Community Action Grant recipients to 13 organizations in Sarpy County. The grants were awarded to organizations that use technology for community benefit, connect people online or off or improve STEM education. Read more here.
Facebook’s Leadership on 100% Renewable Energy
RE100: Facebook is among 230 influential companies that have made a commitment to 100% renewable energy. Additionally, a growing number of RE100 members are working with their global supply chains to help them transition to renewable energy.
REBA: Facebook is also a member of the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance (REBA). REBA’s goal is to catalyze 60 gigawatts (GW) of new renewable energy by 2025, and expand the number of organizations buying clean power from dozens today to tens of thousands. REBA’s Vision & Initiatives.
- Raising the Bar for Sustainability Commitments, Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance
- 2019’s Largest Energy Buyer: Facebook, Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance
- Facebook’s Papillion data center goes live, OPPD Blog, The Wire
For Nebraska, it’s meant an investment of more than $1 billion, including 1,000 construction jobs and 100 permanent jobs, so far. And that’s just for the first phase. The second phase, set for completion in 2023, will bring more construction and another 100 permanent jobs. The company is partnering with the Papillion-La Vista Schools Foundation to invest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education at the high-school level. The company’s skilled and technical trades program will build on the schools’ existing STEM education to benefit more than 1,000 students the first year alone.
- Papillion’s Facebook data center, now officially online, part of company’s global infrastructure, Omaha World-Herald. Committed to using 100% renewable energy to power its data centers, the company is buying wind power from the Omaha Public Power District, which in turn is purchasing it from the Rattlesnake Creek Wind Project in Dixon County, about two hours north of Omaha
- Facebook formally launches Papillion data center, unveils STEM initiative, WOW TV