The White House Briefing Room
On America Recycles Day, we promote the benefits of recycling for our health, environment, and economy and we reenergize the efforts all of us can take to meet the obligations we have as a Nation to future generations. By manufacturing and packaging more recyclable products, producing less waste, and reusing precious resources, we can cut greenhouse gas emissions, create new good-paying jobs, and do our part to help address the climate crisis.
While we know its benefits, recycling is at a crossroads today in many parts of this country. Too many Americans are uncertain about what materials can or should be recycled. Municipalities have trouble finding markets for their recycled waste. Also, as we extract and process more natural resources when we could otherwise reuse materials, we emit dangerous greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. People of color and low‑income Americans, who are more likely to live near landfills and other waste processing plants, often suffer disproportionately from the damaging effects of pollution, which impact their health, their livelihoods, and the quality of their lives. Continue reading here.
Additional Recommended Reading
- Why the Feared Wave of Solar Panel Waste May Be Smaller and Arrive Later Than We Expected, by Dan Gearino, Inside Climate News
Researchers say improvements in solar panels mean we need to change expectations about when they’ll need to be repurposed or recycled.
- Long-Lived? Highly Recyclable? Priorities for Solar Panels in a Circular Economy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Solar Energy Industries Association’s National PV Recycling Program
- 15 companies working to recycle wind turbines, solar panels and batteries, Canary Media
- The above article is part of a special Canary Media series: Recycling Renewables
- Ørsted commits to sustainable recycling of wind turbine blades
- MidAmerican Energy: Can wind turbine blades be recycled?
- What makes a utility environmentally responsible?, American Public Power Association
Find more news stories and resources on recycling solar panels, wind turbines, and batteries here: Nebraskans for Solar Category Archive: Recycling