News Release, Appalachian Voices
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-WV, released a new budget reconciliation deal — the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 — to address climate and energy, the price of prescription drugs and tax reform.
The package includes $369 billion in climate and energy spending and permanently restores a tax on coal to support the Black Lung Disability Trust Fund, which helps provide medical care and a living stipend to miners with black lung if the coal company they worked for goes bankrupt. Also included is more than $10 billion to support rural electric cooperatives and the rural communities they serve with transitioning to renewable energy and energy efficiency. Because of Senate procedures, the package can be passed with a simple majority . . . Continue reading here
Appalachian Voices is a leading nonprofit advocate for a healthy environment and just economy in the Appalachian region, and a driving force in America’s shift from fossil fuels to a clean energy future.
- ITEP: Reconciliation Deal Represents “Transformational Change” for U.S. Tax Policy
“This is a transformational change for U.S. tax and energy policy. The bill restores sorely needed and long-overdue accountability to our tax code. By ensuring that all corporations pay at least 15 percent of their profits in taxes, providing funding to the IRS to improve tax enforcement and reduce tax evasion, and funding clean energy and emission reductions, this bill would begin creating a more equitable America and a more sustainable planet. We call on every member of Congress to support this pathbreaking legislation.”
- News Release by Senator Joe Manchin: Manchin Supports Inflation Reduction Act Of 2022
- Electric Co-ops Applaud Inclusion of Co-op Priorities in Manchin, Schumer Energy Bill, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
- U.S. Climate Alliance Issues Statement on Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
- ACP CEO Heather Zichal Statement on Sen. Manchin and Sen. Schumer Deal on Clean Energy Developments, American Clean Power Association
- Solar and Storage Industry Statement on Reconciliation Deal, Solar Energy Industries Association
Announced Today: A New Public/Private Economic Coalition
- FACT SHEET: Vice President Announces New Private and Public Sector Efforts to Align Tens of Billions in Investments in Underserved Communities, White House Briefing Room
Today, during an event in New York City, Vice President Kamala Harris will announce historic efforts to catalyze and align public and private investments – including the formation of a new Economic Opportunity Coalition (“EOC”) – to address economic disparities and accelerate economic opportunity in communities of color and other underserved communities.
- Statement from Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on Launch of New Private and Public Sector Efforts to Maximize Investments in Underserved Communities, U.S. Department Of The Treasury