By Tim Sylvia, PV Magazine
While the popular thought since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic has been that solar, on the residential side, would be put on the back-burner by consumers until economies reopened and life returned to what can be salvaged of pre-virus normalcy, reality may not reflect this sentiment. New data from a consumer survey conducted by The Harris Poll for LG shows that consumer interest in investing in solar has actually risen since the onset of the pandemic. Continue reading here.
Image Credit: BusinessWire
NFS Resources for Nebraskans interested in going solar:
- Nebraskans for Solar’s Directory
- Solar Examples – Also, check out photos of solar projects on our Facebook page.
- Links to Incentives, Depreciation & Net Metering Resources (1-Page PDF)
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
- Four solar co-ops launch to help Ohioans go solar, WDTN
- Building a just and renewable future on the Navajo Nation, Grist
- Renewables poised to outstrip coal generation in 2020 as COVID-19 accelerates transition: EIA, Utility Dive
- Engie Looking for More US Clean Energy Acquisitions: North America CEO, by Karl-Erik Stromsta, Greentech Media. French power giant plans to ramp up investments into U.S. batteries, hybrid renewables and offshore wind — but gas plants are off the menu.
- Amid Depressed Power Demand, Duke Sticks to Plan to Double Renewables Base, Greentech Media. Duke Energy has curtailed solar generation during the pandemic but still wants another 8 gigawatts of renewables by mid-decade.
- St. Louis’ building efficiency standards pave way for the Midwest, by Chris Teale, Smart Cities Dive
- Also written by Chris Teale: Coalition urges cities to collaborate on resilient pandemic recovery, Smart Cities Dive
- Green New Deal Champion AOC Will Serve on Biden Climate Panel, EcoWatch
BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY ENERGY
- Giant 690-MW Gemini solar project near Las Vegas on BLM land gets the go-ahead, by Eric Wesoff, PV Magazine. The two-phase project is anticipated to be completed as early as 2022, and will feature a mammoth 380 MW/1,400 MWh lithium-ion battery, one of the largest known to pv magazine. Gemini is a Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary, (NV Energy) solar project.
- NV Energy crafts solar+storage subscription plan to keep large customers in its service, by Iulia Gheorghiu, Utility Dive
Distributed storage could save Texas $344 million per year by deferring transmission and distribution costs, by William Driscoll, PV Magazine. Adding enough distributed storage to reduce peak demand by 20% could defer up to one-fifth of the transmission and distribution expenditures in Texas for about 10 years, a study found. Other states may find the study’s analytical insights to be useful.
500 W-plus panel race intensifies with JA Solar’s new module and Risen’s first shipment, PV Magazine USA. Chinese manufacturer JA Solar has announced a new 525 W+ panel and said the product will be available from the second half. Domestic rival Risen has shipped the first batch of its high-powered modules and intends to stick to pre-Covid-19 plans to ramp up production.
- Solar Energy Project Underway At Luther College Will More Than Double The Campus’ Solar Energy Generation, Decorah News
- Transformative solar power agreement will help Emory reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Emory News
- Vestas sets a record for wind turbines and dominates onshore wind energy, Reve
The Danish OEM network-connected capacity of 11.3 GW in 2019 is an increase of 1.5 GW in 2018, with installations completed in more than 35 markets. The company’s facilities in the Americas region contributed more than 50% of capacity for the first time. This was driven by the United States, Mexico, and Argentina. According to Wood Mackenzie’s research, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy moved up to second place, dominating the 1.9 GW offshore market in the UK and achieving more than 1 GW of onshore installations in the United States and Spain.
- World map of wind power and solar energy, Reve
- G20 business leaders’ energy transition investments are focusing on battery storage, EVs, Energy Storage News