By Jim Meadows, Illinois Public Media
“The price of solar installations has come down about 70 percent over the course of the past several years,” said Andrew Barbeau, with the Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition, a group formed by backers of the Future Energy Jobs Act. Speaking at a news conference marking the 2nd anniversary of FEJA’s passage, Barbeau said “the deployment of solar and wind power in Illinois is only getting cheaper right now. Recent studies have shown that the fall in lifetime costs of these projects are now beating existing coal and gas plants that are already out there and deployed.” Read more here.
Photo: Solar panels at the University of Illinois solar farm along Windsor Avenue.
Credit: Jim Meadows/Illinois Public Media
MORE MIDWEST CLEAN ENERGY NEWS
- How Minnesota could economically reach 70 percent renewable electricity, Midwest Energy News
- We Energies starts program to pay for, install and maintain solar panels on private and public property, WDJT – Milwaukee
- Solar Energy Advocates See Growth Potential in Iowa, WHO TV
- Warren Buffet’s MidAmerican Energy puts in Iowa’s latest big battery project, Energy Storage News
NEWS FROM OTHER STATES
- The Green New Deal in New York will double solar power, PV Magazine
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is proposing an increase of his administration’s 3GW distributed solar by 2023 goal to 6GW by 2025 – while more than doubling large scale solar projects.
- SEIA Commends NY Gov. Cuomo for Boosting the State’s Investments in Solar Energy, SEIA News Release
- Florida Power & Light Co. has announced a groundbreaking “30-by-30” plan to install more than 30 million solar panels by 2030, T&D World
- Solar Siting Survey identifies about 500 MW of commercial-scale solar potential in San Diego, Renewable Energy Magazine. The Clean Coalition has released the results of a Solar Siting Survey which has identified about 500 MW of untapped solar potential on rooftops, parking lots, and parking structures which could significantly increase San Diego’s local solar generation.
- Powerhouse approved for California, PV Magazine
The California Energy Commission has given its stamp of approval for Real Good Solar’s Powerhouse PH-055 and PH-060 solar roof product.
GOOGLE’S GROWING INVESTMENTS IN RENEWABLES
- Google Said to Be Planning $600M Wind Powered Data Center in the Land of Lakes, Data Center Knowledge. Small town outside of Minneapolis may soon see a gargantuan server farm go up, powered by 300MW of wind power.
- Google Makes Major Investment in Solar Energy to Power its Cloud, Data Center Frontier
- Google Blog Post: Why we’re putting 1.6 million solar panels in Tennessee and Alabama
- Previously Posted: Google Officially Hits Its 100% Renewable Energy Target, Greentech Media
- RE100: Google is among approximately 160 companies that have made a commitment to 100% renewable energy. Read about the actions they are taking and why by clicking on the link above.