By Paul Gores, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
With the just-completed installation of almost 500 solar panels that could offset more than 61 percent of the anticipated energy use of the new building, Lakeland Supply is joining a growing number of Wisconsin companies that are opting to address their power needs with solar-generated electricity.
The most current data from the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin shows that between 2008 and the third quarter of 2017, the number of solar photovoltaic installations on commercial and industrial buildings in the state increased almost ninefold, to 1,030 from 118.
Read the entire article and view more photos here.
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
- Plunging Prices Mean Building New Renewable Energy Is Cheaper Than Running Existing Coal, Forbes. Across the U.S., renewable energy is beating coal on cost: The price to build new wind and solar has fallen below the cost of running existing coal-fired power plants in Red and Blue states. For example, Colorado’s Xcel will retire 660 megawatts (MW) of coal capacity ahead of schedule in favor of renewable sources and battery storage, and reduce costs in the process. Midwestern utility MidAmerican will be the first utility to reach 100% renewable energy by 2020 without increasing customer rates, and Indiana’s NIPSCO will replace 1.8 gigawatts (GW) of coal with wind and solar.
- Minnesota prison program aims to prepare inmates for solar jobs, Midwest Energy News
- Putting solar on new homes could triple U.S. solar capacity, Environment America News Release
- December solar policy snapshots, Solar Power World
- Boston law firm creates national Renewable Energy Practice Group to serve renewables and energy storage, Solar Power World
- Cherokee Nation launches solar energy pilot program, ABC Tulsa
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex introduces new solar energy technology, Fox 35 Orlando
- Solar energy industry remains a bright spot amid Trump’s tariffs: A tax credit is helping deflect a 30 percent tariff, NBC News
- What Long Duration Energy Storage Is & Why It Kills Coal, CleanTechnica
- Change the rules, add powerlines to let renewables plus storage aim for 90% of the grid, PV Magazine
- 29 Renewable Energy Markets You Need to Watch Out For in 2019, Greentech Media
Next year will see wind, solar and energy storage flourishing globally.
- PV Info Link expects solar demand to reach 112 GW in 2019, PV Magazine
EV GROUP BUY PROGRAMS
Group Buy Programs Have Helped Sell Over 3,000 EVs, CleanTechnica
A report on EV group buying programs was recently developed by Matt Frommer, the Southwest Energy Efficiency Project’s Transportation Program Senior Associate, in partnership with the Colorado Energy Office and Refuel Colorado. He also had assistance from Will Toor and Mike Salisbury. Image by Zach Shahan, CleanTechnica
SOLAR WINDOW NEWS
Solar Window Technologies invests $25 million in manufacturing lines and hiring, PV Magazine. SolarWindow says its product has a one-year payback, and that a 50-story building facade – 360° covered – would be equivalent to approximately 10-12 acres (1-2 MW) of ground mounted solar power. Competitor Onyx Solar also suggests a less than one-year payback on its solar window product. Onyx also put out a nice PDF which breaks down solar glass efficiency versus visibility, and then gets into the costs of installation.