By Robert Walton, Utility Dive
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced in June plans to partner with other cities to explore collective purchasing of renewable energy in order to bring down costs and incentivize more development. So far on board are cities including Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Portland and Orlando. The RFI aggregates the 20 cities’ combined 5,700 GWh of annual municipal loads said Adam Jacobs, Boston’s energy manager in the webinar hosted by the American Council on Renewable Energy.
Photo Credit: Depositphotos
- City of Boston Mayor Walsh calls on cities to join large-scale renewable energy initiative, City of Boston News
- Power brokers: Boston to join other cities to collectively buy energy from renewable sources, Boston Globe
MORE AGGREGATION NEWS
Photo by SunEdison: San Diego Canopies
- San Diego to form world’s largest Community Choice Aggregation, PV Magazine
The announcement comes as a part of Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer’s ambitious 100% by 2035 renewable energy mandate for the city. CCAs happen when local governments, either municipalities or counties, form an entity to procure electricity for their communities. In the Golden State they have allowed communities to procure renewable energy even more rapidly than the statewide 60% by 2030 mandate.
- Businesses Unite To Drive Uptake of Renewable Energy In Australia, The Climate Group
RE100 has gone Down Under, demonstrating the potential for corporate sourcing of renewables to help shift the energy market in Australia away from polluting coal. This week saw the first Australian meeting of RE100 – the global corporate leadership initiative on renewable electricity led by The Climate Group in partnership with CDP.
MORE NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL NEWS
Photo Credit: Google
- Brace yourself for a blockbuster quarter in corporate renewables procurement, GreenBiz
- NextEra: Wind will be competitive after Production Tax Credit sunset due to price declines, Utility Dive
- News Release: Enphase Energy and LONGi Solar announce AC module partnership, Posted by PV Magazine USA
- These are the largest solar farms in the world, Digital Trends
CLEAN ENERGY JOBS
ADDITIONAL CLEAN TECHNICA INTERVIEW