From transmission deferral to hybrid generation, 2017 has seen a
number of notable projects done by or for regulated utilities.
By Peter Maloney, Contributor, Utility Dive
High on the list of notable projects of the year is Tucson Electric Power’s (TEP) solar plus storage facility. The project is being built by NextEra Energy and features a 100 MW solar array and a 30 MW, 120 MWh energy storage system. Its most notable feature, however, is its power purchase agreement.
TEP reported that the all-in cost for the solar-plus-storage project was “significantly less than $0.045/kWh over 20 years.” TEP said the solar portion of the project, at under 3¢/kWh, was “the lowest price recorded in the U.S.” That puts the remaining storage portion of the project at about 1.5¢/kWh. Click here to learn about other projects.
MORE ENERGY STORAGE NEWS
- The Big Embrace: Electric Utilities Accept Wind and Solar as Reliable Sources, Plan for the Long Haul, Renewable Energy World
- Arizona Public Service taps Sunverge for residential energy storage pilot, Utility Dive
- Good Energy breaks battery storage duck with maiden project, Clean Energy News
- 4 Leaders in Solar Battery Storage, Madison.Com
- 3@3 on Solar PV: China’s Solar Market, POWER-GEN, Tesla: Topics include the enormous solar market in China and how much solar the country is expected to install; POWER-GEN, the largest power show for the entire power industry and Tesla’s announcement that its mega storage project is ready for testing in Australia. Renewable Energy World
- Battery Storage to Help Offshore Wind Farms Maximize Revenue, Renewable Energy World
- Investment Group Puts $94.22M Into Canadian Commercial & Industrial Energy Storage, Energy Manager Today
- Putting Solar+Storage to Work for Africa’s Farmers, Renewable Energy World
- Equitable Health and Recovery Depend on Resilient Power, Clean Energy Group
- Webinar: Energy Storage for Puerto Rico: Modular Solutions for Disaster Recovery
Tuesday, December 12 from 2pm to 3pm CST. Summary: Energy storage, combined with solar generation, can provide power to disaster recovery efforts when the grid is down. In this webinar, you will learn about solar+storage solutions being distributed in Puerto Rico by GS Battery and Civic Solar. For more information and to register, click here.