By Frank Jossi, Midwest Energy News
It’s rare to see millennials attending a PUC hearing, or even someone not on the payroll of an organization involved in the process. But administrative law judge Ann O’Reilly accepted the argument by Youth Climate Intervenors that their generation will disproportionately feel the burden of climate change.
“In a landmark decision she granted us standing,” said Akilah Sanders-Reed, the 23-year-old who founded the group. “She acknowledged we (young people) had a stake in it and that we deserved a seat at the table. What that means is that the Youth Climate Intervenors have the same rights in that courtroom as Enbridge Energy does.” Read more here.
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- Solar costs to fall 60% over the next decade: The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) forecasts as much as 90 GW of new solar additions annually across the globe over the next few years, driving a 60% reduction in costs, PV Magazine
- Facebook’s Nebraska Data Center Will be Powered by Wind, Renewable Energy Magazine
- Iowa lights way to a solar future as largest solar garden comes online: Known more for its wind than its solar resources, Alliant Energy Iowa has brought a 6.2 MW solar project online. PV Magazine
- Energy efficiency as a resource: The power of getting more from less, Utility Dive Guest Opinion by Ryan Katofsky, vice president, industry analysis, at national business group Advanced Energy Economy. This is the third in a 7-part series from AEE that addresses how the power sector can successfully transition to a 21st Century Electricity System.
- California allocates $55M for energy storage in low income neighborhoods, Utility Dive
- Sonnen seeks to work with US utilities, not replace them, Energy Storage News
- South Portland starts farming solar energy, The Forecaster. The new solar array is at the city’s 34-acre capped landfill at 929 Highland Ave., behind the transfer station and new public services facility.
- Solar record-breaking China aims for 50GW installed in 2017, Inhabitat
- World’s first floating wind farm goes online in Scotland, Inquirer
- Jeff Bezos smashing that champagne bottle: the story behind the story, Into the Wind, AWEA Blog