Source: Energy Storage Association
“A next-generation smart grid without energy storage is like a
computer without a hard drive: severely limited.”
– Katie Fehrenbacher, GigaOm
The Energy Storage Association (ESA) believes that energy storage is integral to all systems planning and deployment. The organization works to make electricity smarter, more efficient, and better. “Drawing on decades of research and development, ESA’s members are storing energy today for its best use tomorrow. Energy storage is entirely resource neutral – and allows us to integrate electricity from any source into a more resilient and reliable grid, creating jobs, lowering energy bills, and helping to secure our energy future.”
Energy Storage Facts & Figures posted on ESA’s Website
Did you know?
- According to market research firm IHS, the energy storage market is set to “explode” to an annual installation size of 6 gigawatts (GW) in 2017 and over 40 GW by 2022 — from an initial base of only 0.34 GW installed in 2012 and 2013.
- The U.S. energy storage industry comprises hundreds of companies and thousands of American workers building commercial energy storage systems throughout the country.
- Flywheel and battery energy storage systems are operating today in the competitive ancillary services power market – providing a 10x faster and more accurate response to a power dispatcher’s signals compared to power turbine generators.
- An IMS Research report expects the market for storing power from solar panels – which was less than $200 million in 2012 – will catapult to $19 billion in 2017.
To learn more, visit: Energy Storage Association
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
Energy Storage: Falling Costs, Major Gains