By Nick Magrisso, Expert Blog, Natural Resources Defense Council
Last week during the final day of the annual veto session, the Illinois General Assembly passed sweeping clean energy and climate legislation that will pave the way toward a bright future that moves our electric sector toward a more modern, low carbon economy. And now, the Future Energy Jobs bill is on its way to the Governor’s desk where it’s expected to be signed. NRDC is incredibly proud to have worked closely with many, including Sierra Club, Environmental Defense Fund, the Citizens Utility Board, along with environmental justice leaders, faith groups, labor leaders, some of the state’s most influential business leaders and the nearly 200 plus members that belong to the Clean Jobs Coalition on this historic achievement. Read more.
Nick Magrisso is NRDC’s Midwest States Legislative Director, Midwest Program. He focuses mainly on environmental and energy-related policies that affect his home state of Illinois. Magrisso is also NRDC’s lead advocate in Illinois’ capital of Springfield, where he works to advance the organization’s priorities and initiatives. He has a bachelor’s degree in environmental studies from Northeastern Illinois University.
Photo: Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READING
Illinois’ New & Improved RPS Means More Solar, Solar Energy Industries Blog
The Environmental Law & Policy Center estimates that this new renewable portfolio standard (RPS) will require more than 2,700 MW of new solar by 2030. This is a large step forward for Illinois, which currently has only 66 MW of installed solar and ranks 27th nationally for total capacity.
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- Here comes the sun: Some rural Minnesota businesses embrace solar to control energy costs, Prairie Business
- New contract will more than double city‘s purchase of energy from Iowa wind farm, Columbia Missourian
- Four reasons 30% wind and solar is technically no big deal, Utility Dive
- Power line to link Canada, New England gets key US permit, Associated Press, Lincoln Journal Star
- Google Will Achieve 100 Percent Renewable Energy in 2017, Greentech Media
- How Made-in-America Battery Technology Can Help Make America Great Again, Energy Storage Association News. The U.S. is facing a tremendous, once-in-a-generation economic opportunity to seize an emerging $450 billion global market over the next 25 years in advanced energy storage manufacturing.
- Report: Move from fossil fuels ‘irrevocably underway’‘, E&E News. Subscription required but free trial offered.
- Kit Carson Co-op aims for solar summers by 2022, Santa Fe New Mexican News
- OCI Solar Power seeks to sell Alamo 6 solar farm to Warren Buffett-owned company, San Antonio Business Journal