Assistant to the Secretary for Rural Development Anne Hazlett has announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is investing $398.5 million to improve rural electric service in 13 states. “Reliable and affordable electricity is undeniably a necessity in today’s world,” Hazlett said. “Under the leadership of Secretary Sonny Perdue, USDA is committed to being a strong partner in keeping our rural communities connected to this essential infrastructure.” USDA is making the investments through the Electric Infrastructure Loan Program. Read the entire news release here.
ADDITIONAL FUNDING NEWS
DOE provides $148M in funding for separate energy storage research efforts, Utility Dive
Department of Energy News Releases
Department of Energy Announces New Projects to Extend Grid Energy Storage
Department of Energy Announces $120 Million for Battery Innovation Hub
AGGREGATED RENEWABLE ENERGY PURCHASING NEWS
- Five Texas munis partner to add 500 MW of solar, PV Magazine
The projects would be a first for all but one of these utilities, as publicly-owned power companies continue to lead Texas’ solar charge.
- Community Choice Aggregation Puts Communities in Control of Their Electricity, Union of Concerned Scientists Blog. Keep your eyes and ears open for Community Choice Aggregation, already a major player for consumer energy choice in California and spreading rapidly. In this post, 2018 UCS Schneider Fellow Rebecca Behrens explains how CCAs work, where CCAs are forming, and what you should be on the look-out for as more communities get involved.
MORE NEWS & AN EDITORIAL
6 Charts Showing the Renewables Threat to Natural Gas, Greentech Media
Photo Credit: NextEra Energy
- SEIA Supports Proposal to Make Storage Projects Eligible for Solar Investment Tax Credit, SEIA News Release
- Project to provide reliable and affordable solar-generated energy to Penn State, Penn State News
- Colorado electric cooperative aims at 70% clean energy by 2030, Renewables Now
- Colorado Springs Utilities increases commitment to renewable energy with solar purchase agreement, The Gazette
- Solar Going Big (And Small) In Illinois, Northern Public Radio
- Oneida Tribal Project expected to save money and reduce carbon dioxide emissions, FOX 11 News
- Boone County Board approves third solar farm, they say 10 more in the works, My Stateline
- News Release: SolarEdge introduces StorEdge backup solution for the entire home, PV Magazine. SolarEdge, a global leader in smart energy, is unveiling at Solar Power International its expanded StorEdge solution that now offers immediate energy backup of the entire house.
- With SC coal ash pits at risk of breach, Florence reveals costs of coal, The Post and Courier Editorial
PBS provides FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans and more for teachers, parents and students. Entering the term “solar energy” into the search box provided on the website currently results in 2392 resources.