By Andy Colthorpe, Editor and Journalist, Energy Storage News
“The US really is one of the leading markets for the storage business in the world. Here in the western part of the US with such aggressive renewable portfolio standard targets, California is on a path to perhaps 100% renewables in less than 30 years. “There’s a lot of activity in Arizona too. So the western part of the US continues to blaze a trail towards much longer duration, bulk energy storage and shifting, from daytime to early evening peak. “[But] We’re [also] beginning to see the same developments in the eastern part of the US, in Massachusetts, in New York State, which has some pretty aggressive aspirations in this area. Another interesting thing is that in addition to solar and onshore wind there’s a tremendous amount of offshore wind activity in the northeast US, which was virtually unheard of a few years ago.”
– NEC Energy Solutions CEO Steve Fludder
Read more here.
MORE 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY NEWS
An aerial view of the Lapeer Solar Park in Michigan. Credit: DTE Energy
- State representative wants all of Michigan’s energy to come from renewable sources by 2050, Michigan Radio
- Wake County, N.C., Commits To 100% Renewables, Solar Industry
According to the Sierra Club, Wake County joins North Carolina’s Buncombe and Orange counties in committing to transition to 100% renewables. Wake County had previously endorsed the Paris Agreement, and this summer, it passed new building energy management guidelines that, among other efficiency requirements, require all buildings constructed with county funds to be solar-ready, notes the Sierra Club.
- Google is searching for a way to be zero emissions all the time, Fast Company
Buying enough clean energy to make up for your dirty energy is one thing; using all clean energy 24/7 is another, and it could signal a new approach.
- Sony Shifts US 100% Renewable Energy Goal Forward By A Decade, CleanTechnica
- T-Mobile will power its Washington headquarters with 100% renewable energy by 2021, Solar Power World
- Facebook plans another 100 MW of solar for New Mexico data center, Solar Power World
- Demonstrating Leadership on Renewables: Microsoft Drives Innovative Solutions In The US, The Climate Group
- PwC Commits To Source 100% Renewable Electricity For Global Operations, The Climate Group. Professional services network PwC has joined RE100 with a target to source 100% renewable electricity for its global operations by 2050 and an interim goal of 70% by 2022. RE100 is a global leadership initiative led by The Climate Group in partnership with CDP. It brings together leading companies committed to source 100% renewable electricity, growing demand for – and delivery of – clean power.
- Press release: Iron Mountain signs 15-year power purchase pact with NextEra, Ethical Corporation. “This deal is further proof that scaling up renewable energy is achievable and cost-effective for global companies of all sizes,” said Marty Spitzer, senior director of renewable energy at World Wildlife Fund. “With the help of the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance, buyers like Iron Mountain have switched into high gear on their journey toward 100% renewable energy and are reducing emissions in line with the urgency of the climate challenge.”
ADDITIONAL CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY NEWS
Portland could make big businesses pay to protect communities of color from climate change,
Fast Company. A first-of-its-kind ballot measure in Portland, Oregon, would create a fund–via a surcharge on large companies–to support clean-energy projects in low-income communities of color.