Mother Nature Network
“The [divestment] movement is highlighting the need to stop investing in the expansion of a global industry which must be brought into managed decline if catastrophic climate change is to be averted,” said Thomas Pringle, the independent member of parliament who introduced the bill. “Ireland by divesting is sending a clear message that the Irish public and the international community are ready to think and act beyond narrow short-term vested interests.”
While Ireland is the first country that plans to completely divest itself of fossil fuels assets, Norway has divested from some coal companies, and cities around the United States, including New York, Seattle and Washington, D.C., have made steps to divest their government and pension funds of fossil fuel assets. Read more here.
Photo by Mother Nature Network: The Cliffs of Moher
HELPFUL LINKS TO DIVEST / REINVEST RESOURCES POSTED HERE:
MORE CLIMATE ACTION NEWS
- New York City Sues Oil Companies Over Climate Change, Says It Plans to Divest
- Nobel-Winning Economist to Testify in Children’s Climate Lawsuit
Joseph Stiglitz writes in a court brief that fossil fuel-based economies impose ‘incalculable’ costs on society and shifting to clean energy will pay off.
ADDITIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY NEWS
- Corporate procurement of renewable energy continues to ramp up, Daily Energy Insider
- As corporate PPAs surge, consultants aim to bring lower prices, Utility Dive
- Clean energy is catching up to natural gas, Vox
The natural gas “bridge” to sustainability may be shorter than expected.
- Getting (closer) to 100% renewable energy, PV Magazine
- Samsung promises to use 100 percent renewable energy in US, Europe, and China by 2020, The Verge
- UK passes 1,000 hours without coal as energy shift accelerates, The Guardian
- Apple Launches a New Clean Energy Fund in China With Suppliers, Greentech Media
Apple and its supplier partners are on track to collectively generate more than 4 gigawatts of new clean energy worldwide by 2020, representing one-third of Apple’s current manufacturing electricity footprint.
- DC considering 100% renewable by 2032, but no carbon tax, Utility Dive
- Xcel to build 72-turbine South Dakota wind farm near Minnesota border, Twin Cities Pioneer Press
- Pennsylvania lays out a plan for 11 GW of solar by 2030, PV Magazine
As the global transition from fossil fuels and nuclear power to renewable energy progresses, even those states which have shown less ambition to date are beginning to make bold moves.
- UK to push for electric car chargers in all new homes, Smart Cities Dive
- Dallas deploys electric bus fleet, Utility Dive
- Nation’s first electric double-decker buses arriving in Los Angeles, Smart Cities Dive
NEBRASKA EV PROGRAMS
- OPPD’s Electric Vehicle (EV) Rebate Pilot Program
- NPPD’s EV Charging Station Incentive Pilot Program
American Wind Week 2018: Anywhere the wind blows, Into the Wind, AWEA Blog
Events can be planned anywhere the wind blows in this 50 state industry, but big wind states like Texas, Iowa and Nebraska shouldn’t go without a Wind Week event.