Photo: Nebraska’s first community solar project in Central City. Credit: Developer Cliff Mesner
“Community Solar” has a number of other names, including: solar garden, solar farm, shared solar, or shared renewable energy. A program or project typically involves the community in discussing and implementing a plan, and it may initially or sometime in the future provide virtual net metering.
At least fifteen Nebraska towns and cities, listed below, have created community solar or utility-scale solar projects or are discussing developing one. The following resources are offered to communities that may be considering a project. If you know of other Nebraska communities that have completed a project, or you are familiar with additional resources and news stories you would like to share, please send this information to Helen Deffenbacher at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Solar: Case Studies, American Public Power Association
- Guiding Principles for Shared Renewable Energy Programs, Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- NPPD’s SunWise Community Solar Program
- NPPD’s SOLAR FAQs
- LES SunShares Community Solar Program
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE) – Nebraska
- Residential Consumer Guide to Community Solar, Solar Energy Industries Association and the Coalition For Community Solar Access
- Community Solar Policy Decision Matrix: Guidance for Designing Community Solar Programs, Coalition for Community Solar Access
- Community Solar Toolkit, Solar Market Pathways
NEBRASKA COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE DEVELOPED OR PLAN TO DEVELOP SOLAR PROJECTS & LINKS TO INFORMATION
Solar WWTP project sheds energy-saving light on Aurora.
The project is the first of its kind to use NPPD’s solar rider: Nebraska Public Power District Solar Rider (PDF). See Solar Examples.
600 Kilowatt Solar Array Located On Custer County Ranch
Here comes the sun
- Central City
Central City solar garden earns Nebraska Municipal Power Pool (NMPP) Energy’s Project of Year Award
Chadron explores solar project
SEPA Case Study – Selling Out 1.55 MW of Community Solar in 7 Weeks: Inside the City of Fremont, Nebraska’s Community Solar Program
How did a small Nebraska town sell out of 1.55 MW of community solar in 7 weeks? YouTube Video by Smart Electric Power Alliance
Solar farm becomes reality in 2017
Utilities take note: Next generation utility-led community solar is emerging
Nebraska town can’t get enough of community solar: Smart program design drives sold-out project
City moving forward with Solar Farm
The power of solar energy
City solar array to be completed next month. (The project was completed).
Village continues solar talk
Switch is on at Kearney’s solar farm: $11M facility is Nebraska’s largest
Kearney officially signs on $11M solar array project
Agreements signed in $11M solar project; Xpansion announces official tech park plan
Going green: Kearney on renewable energy map
IGS Solar Teams Up With City of Lexington, Nebraska On 4 MW Solar Array
Council approves solar energy system for Capitol Beach site
Capitol Beach would have first community solar energy project
LES launches virtual solar program
OPPD’s future relies heavily on renewables
OPPD’s Community Solar Update
OPPD to consider community solar projects
Nebraska utility seeking input for first community solar project
Community solar now available in Scottsbluff – News story added on April 5th.
Solar panels installed at NPPD
With projects popping up across Nebraska, future of solar power brightens
- South Sioux City
Solar is South Sioux City’s latest investment in renewables
Superior buys into solar power with AEP contract
Venango One of Two Communities Beginning to Use Solar Energy
MORE COMMUNITY SOLAR LINKS
- Turning the promise of solar landfills into reality, Waste Dive
- Consumer Education Is Key For Success of Community Solar Market,, Solar Industry Magazine
- Q&A: How solar could change the face of low-income energy assistance, Midwest Energy News
- What the Community Solar Customer Wants, Smart Energy Power Alliance
- The first step to community solar for all, GreenBiz
- Analysis Shows That Community Solar is Competitive in the Vast Majority of the US: Solar is cheap no matter where you live, by SunShot’s Caroline McGregor. Published by Greentech Media
- What’s Ahead for Community Solar In 2017? Solar Industry Magazine
- Rural Electric Cooperatives Are Opting For Community-Scale Solar. Here’s Why, CleanTechnica
Last updated January 6, 2018.